Everybody’s got dreams. Whether it’s to be wealthy, healthy, or happily married, there are steps you can take right now to get the life of your dreams.
1. Ask yourself “What do I want?”
Most of us don’t have a genie to grant our wishes. If you did, there are still a couple of things you would have to do before getting what you want. First, you would need to rub it. Second, once the genie appears, you would need to tell him/her what you want. This second part may come easy to some; others may have less specific goals. If you are unsure about your goals, or just want to have it all, this exercise will help organize your wishes.
- Set a timer for 15 minutes and write down the things that you want. They can be ANYTHING! No rules apply to your dream list. Some things to include are: achievements, places you would like to visit, desired relationships, or items you would like to own.
- The goal of the exercise is to fill the whole paper. When completed, you should have plenty of goals that will take various amounts of time to achieve.
2. What’s keeping you from getting what you want?
Review your list and decide what’s standing in your way of achieving each. Though many obstacles are obvious, there are some that may only be identified after some self reflection. Many times the biggest obstacle to getting what we want is ourselves. These can include; bad habits, inactivity, or fear of rejection.
3. Appreciate who you are and what you have
Once you’ve identified where you want to go, take a moment to reflect on where you are right now. The number one rule of the law of attraction is that you get back what you put out. If you want to attract a mate, money, or even a job you first must have a positive attitude about who you are. No matter what your circumstances, remember that there is always somebody worse off than you. Keeping this in mind will help you to avoid wasting energy on envy and instead focus on improving your situation. Life is a journey, instead of always looking ahead, it helps to stop and appreciate where you are on the path from time to time.
4. Set goals
Goals are dreams with a deadline. Tracking small goals may seem unimportant at first, but small successes go a long way to increase confidence. If one of your goals is weight loss, you may track the amount of steps you take by wearing a pedometer. Setting a target number of daily steps and tracking your progress will show you how small everyday choices are bringing you closer to your goal.
- Make lists of short term, long term, and daily goals. Review them regularly.
- You may want to keep your goal lists in a notebook. This will keep your achieved goal lists readily available for you to review. Reminding yourself of all the small tasks and goals you have completed helps to increase confidence in your ability to tackle the larger ones.
5. Be nice to yourself
When you reach a goal, treat yourself! Positive reinforcement of good habits works for dogs, children, and even you! Though you may want to keep your goals in mind and give yourself an appropriate treat. For example, if you want to lose weight and have reached a goal you may want to avoid a food based reward. Instead opt for a pedicure or something nice you’ve eyed at your favorite store.
6. Never give up
Kick fear of failure to the curb. Not everything will go your way, and that’s fine. There are many very successful people who have failed many times before getting their big break.
- Take a moment to research someone who has succeeded at one of your interests. What obstacles did they overcome before achieving success?
- Regularly take time to reflect on all that you have achieved.
- When you reach all of your goals, and get what you want (which I hope that you do) don’t stop. Make a new list! With all of your experiences and confidence you’re sure to have some new dreams to start working on.
Enter your email to subscribe to our future posts: