Luxembourg - the worlds richest country

Top 10 richest countries of the world

by Roman on May 23, 2008

Here is a top 10 list of worlds richest countries according to CIA World Factbook and Wikipedia measured by GDP per capita. For those in the dark – GDP or Gross Domestic Product – is the value of all the goods that a country produces. GDP per capita stands for the value an average person produces.

10. Switzerland – $39,800 (GDP per capita)

This cheese making country is considered to be one of the most neutral countries in the world. During World War 2, people from other European countries deposited their money in the banks of Switzerland, knowing that their money would be safer there than in their home countries. Some well known Swiss companies include Nestle, Logitech, Rolex and Credit Suisse.

9. Equatorial Guinea – $44,100

The Republic of Equatorial Guinea is a country in Central Africa. Most people have never heard of it. This country flew into stardom after 1996 when large oil reserves were found in the nation of only 0,5 million people. While being one of the largest producers of oil in Africa, little has been made to improve the living conditions of the people. Corruption is widespread and ordinary people are mostly living in poverty. The gap between rich and poor is probably the largest in the world.

8. Ireland - $45,600

This member of European Union has been often admired as one of the most modern knowledge economies in the world. Ireland is the largest maker of computer software in the world. A study done by The Economist ranked the Celtic Tiger to have the best quality of life in the world.

7. United States – $46,000

What sets the US apart from most other countries in this list is its size. While most other countries in this list are among the smallest in the world the US has a population of over 300 million and a total land area of 3,79 million square miles (9.83 million sq km). The US is also home to the largest amount of billionaires in the world. It is speculated that as many billionaires live in the US as in the rest of the world.

6. Singapore – $48,900

This tiny country consists of 63 island and some mainland with a total area of only 270 square miles (704 sq km). With Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan it is considered one of the Four Asian Tigers. Singapore has the busiest port in the world and is the 4th largest foreign exchange trading center in the world. Singapore is widely believed to be the most business-friendly economy in the world.

Page 2 – The Top 5 richest countries in the world

Enter your email to subscribe to our future posts:

How to subscribe and why subscribe?

Pages: 1 2

{ 7 trackbacks }

top 10 happiest countries of the world « Deniansbetz's Blog
March 12, 2010 at 4:41 am
What will happen once United States of America will go bust? - Page 3 - US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
April 21, 2010 at 8:37 pm
| Data press
June 8, 2010 at 3:47 am
Top 10 Richest Countries In The World… « Fun Facts
January 22, 2011 at 10:59 pm
top 10 rich courtery | richmagzine.com
May 30, 2011 at 3:32 am
Iceland’s on-going revolution « Six Free Meals
September 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm
Iceland’s on-going revolution « Six Free Meals
September 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm

{ 1617 comments }

Shahwani November 16, 2008 at 5:16 am

Qatar is now worlds richest country according to both IMF and CIA, only world bank recognizes Luxemburg as richest as they have no statistics on Qatar. So its no more luxemburg at 1 but Qatar.

Tessa December 5, 2008 at 9:29 am

Luxembourg is number one because of international banking business that made them number one on the list. Most of the rich people have using international banks in Luxembourg and Switzerland. As you can see Switzerland is number 10 on the list.

avildsen December 9, 2008 at 7:20 pm

one of the main things i noticed about europe is how expensive it is there, especially the european countries mentioned in this list. even if you make $50 000 a year, it will feel a lot less than if you had $50 000 a year in usa. things are a lot cheaper. and while europeans will probably spend all $50k they make, americans will probably spend $40k for the same exact stuff they buy in that years time.

Roman December 9, 2008 at 8:07 pm

I agree!
Every time I visit the US I usually buy a lot of things simply because they are a lot cheaper over there.

On the other hand Europeans don’t need to buy any insurance or cover their own medical costs – so things are a bit more expensive, but you don’t need to buy all the stuff you have to in the US

suresh December 10, 2008 at 12:16 am

i am an indian.my dream is work and settle in english speaking countries .tell about which english countries give more salary and easy visa

please wait for your comments

Roman December 10, 2008 at 10:43 am

Hi!
The salary of course depends on what you do!
If you are an IT professional you will make a lot more money than as a cleaner :)
In USA a professional worker in most office jobs can make between 40 000 to 100 000 dollars a year.
In the US however they sometimes won’t give you a single day for vacation (although 2 weeks is the norm). The salary of a person living in England can be a bit higher – and at the same time you don’t have to pay for your medical costs and insurance and you get 1 month of vacation every year!
So I would go for England (or Canada) – but I guess it pretty much depends on where you get a good job!

american August 25, 2010 at 7:58 pm

usa would be a good choice countrie for a high salary but not for easy accsess in americans people do not favor having immigrants in the countrie ( because we live next to mexico and get so many immigrants ) we also have good quality life here and the largest % of millionares in the world you could be the next one for all i know.

Santosh December 10, 2008 at 10:18 am

Hi Roman,
Your comments are good

Roman December 10, 2008 at 10:22 am

Thanks! :)

Santosh December 10, 2008 at 10:27 am

You are from which country,

Roman December 10, 2008 at 10:35 am

I am from Estonia. It’s a small country in the European Union.
I have also written a post about it:

That being said I also travel quite a bit – but mainly in Europe and the US.
One of my dreams is to visit all the countries in Asia!

Cristine Reyes (Actress) December 17, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Try to visit Philippines.. we have a lot of beautiful beaches that makes you feel relax.. :)

see you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristine_Reyes

china doll May 5, 2009 at 10:42 am

u seem clever, do u have more topic to discuss bout geography? i really enjoy ur site…

Santosh December 10, 2008 at 10:25 am

Hi roman,

Roman December 10, 2008 at 10:47 am

Well I have never been to Canada myself but I have visited the Niagara Falls which is right on the border of US and Canada!

In my opinion Canada is a great country – their laws are in many ways better than the one’s in the US.
A Canadian gets free access to the public health system but at the same time get paid almost the same as in the US.
Compared to the US Canada is a peaceful country as well – they are not in war with anybody!

Lance August 25, 2009 at 3:22 am

I hope you realize that the reason Canada is not at war with anybody is because of their big brother, the USA, which basically would back up Canada in any war. They don’t even have or need a substantial military and they haven’t saved the world’s ass in two world wars either which, by the way, my relatives have served in. I’d like to see the world right now if the USA would have sat back and let the Nazis and the Japs take over the rest of the world. I’m not a fan of the currrent situation in the middle east or of George Bush’s hawkish politics, but it makes me angry to see people USA bashing all over the place. And some assholes did fly a couple planes into our buildings, but that stills doesn’t give us Carte Blanche to invade Iraq but give credit where credit is due and thank god for the USA because we’re the reason that some Nazis / Jap didn’t fuck your mother and kill your brother. You’d all be slaves to the German Empire which have put a bullet in your head for any indiscretions.

Gaudastrikk November 6, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Buddy, I absolutely respect the fact that you’re not one of those half-blind Americans beating their chest saying everything America does is awesome. But, at the risk of sounding like a douche here, I am a bit of a history nut. And I have to correct a few things I’m hearing here. I’m from Norway – and I’ve got nothing against Americans in general, however I’m not too fond of what the Bush government did either.

The United States were reluctant to join the war and ‘save Europe’. That’s both great, and not so great. Fact of the matter is the cabinet during WWII knew that war sucked. It sucked big time. And coming out from a huge economic recession, war just didn’t seem like a good option. Plus, they were reluctant to meddle in what they reffered to as ‘European conflicts’. If it weren’t for the fact that Japan ATTACKED Pearl Harbour, the US would most likely never have entered the war. In fact, even after Japan attacked Pearl Harbour, the United States did NOT declare war on Germany too. Three whole days went by, then Germany declared war on the US in hopes of getting support in a far eastern theatre against the Soviets – in effect to make the soviets fight on two fronts!

I’ve got NOTHING but respect for the US soldiers who signed up and fought in Europe though, and I’m extremely grateful for what they did. I just want to make that very clear before I bring up a kind of… harsh statistic.

Do you know how many lives the United States, France, the United Kingdom and other democratic allies (Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Poland etc.) lost combined?
Please check out this chart, which is a moderate estimate of how many lost their lives. Even though the US contributed a whole lot, they wouldn’t have stood a chance against the brute force of Hitler if it weren’t for the Soviets. Even though I despise Stalin (actually, more so than Hitler), his politics and his branch of communism, we can’t turn a blind eye to the immense losses inflicted to the Soviet Union. Here’s a link: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/World_War_II_Casualties.svg

Anyways, I strayed a bit off-topic there!

Roman November 6, 2009 at 8:16 pm

A great comment! Thank you so much! You give meaning to this website!

Keka December 17, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Please correct your grammar we dont understand… loser indians… tsk tsk

gayatri May 8, 2011 at 6:21 am

u are not suppose to say loser indians .if i say u country peoplew to be idiots then how will u feel

Santosh December 10, 2008 at 10:26 am

Hi roman,
Me from india recently I happend to see your messages, well how about your opinion on CANADA since i am immigrating there

Santosh December 10, 2008 at 10:29 am

Hey Roman,
After i saw all this ranking of all the rich countires i feel like to move to Denmark. But i like CANADA a lot since its easy to move but can u share me one this how is canada in terms of JOB Opportunities, Health, security etc..

Roman December 10, 2008 at 10:49 am

Read my comment above!
When it comes to job opportunities I feel that the safest bet would be to find a company that wants to employ you before going to Canada. Finding a job can be something that takes 6 months and you still need living money during that time!

Santosh December 10, 2008 at 12:00 pm

u there roman

Santosh December 10, 2008 at 12:03 pm

thanks for the INformation

Roman December 10, 2008 at 1:07 pm

You’re welcome!

SURESH December 11, 2008 at 12:07 am

dear sir,

INTRODUCTION:
i am suresh. i am studying MCA SECOND YEAR . i am living in india
REASON:
last month Sweden’s Minister for Migration and Asylum Policy Tobias Billstrom came to india

he said ” Sweden currently faces a shortage of doctors, nurses, engineers, electricians, IT technicians and welders.Once the new rules are enforced, an employer who is not able to meet labour needs through recruitment in Sweden or in the European Union will be able to recruit labour from any other country. Decisions regarding residence and work permits will be based on employers’ own assessment of the needs. ”

PURPOSE:
i am living with my father,mother and my brother’
father occupation:daily wages.
brother occupation:electricians.
i am fully depands my brothers income only because my father are very older.

after my complete my MCA degree , i am willing to work foriegn country. please help me to fulfill my dreams.

i am only aim get more money for my family.

i am hope for your postive message.

cell.no.9942938245

suresh December 14, 2008 at 10:37 pm

hai roman,
i need your help for my childhood dream.
what are produrce to work permit in european union countries

Roman December 14, 2008 at 11:47 pm

Sorry for not noticing your previous comment Suresh!

The rules in all the European Union countries are different. So you need to take a country and research it individually. There is a law however that says that if you are a citizen of a country in the EU, you can work and live in any country you like – this law however is not a law yet in all the countries and it is estimated that it will be passed in all the countries in 2013.
If this happens then you can take a citizenship of whatever country you like in the EU and afterward work in all European countries.

Right now the law’s are very strict and if you want a work permit you will at first need to find a job and then your future work place needs to write a statement saying that they were unable to find a specialist like you from their own country.

MuNeSh January 24, 2009 at 2:20 pm

hey roman!!

which school is best in Europe?

suresh December 15, 2008 at 12:04 am

THANKS FOR RESPONES,

SIR,I AMNOT KNOW SINGLE PERSON EUROPEAN COUNTRIES. HOW CAN I GET JOB IN RICHEST EUROPEAN COUNTRIES?

hass December 15, 2008 at 5:00 am

i think saudi arabia one of them

john chrysller December 24, 2008 at 4:48 am

philippines has improven!!!!!!!
so try to visit it!!!!
more enjoy!!!!1

Jonathan Raneses December 24, 2008 at 7:57 pm

I NOE PHILIPPINES MIGHT NOT B THE RICHEST COUNTRIE, BUT IT IS THE BEST COUNTRIE 2 LIVE IN. NO BODY IS RICH OR POOR IN THE PHILIPPINES, WHAT IM TRYING 2 SAY THAT THERE, YOU CAN HAVE A BETTER LIFE, AND ITS EASY 2 LIVE THERE AND YOU WONT HAVE 2 WORRY ABOUT MONEY.PHILIPPINES IS A VERY GOOD ROLE MODEL 2 ALL COUNTRIES, THEY BASICALLY HAVE THE NICEST PPL THERE.

Silo December 29, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Yeah Philippians r very nice and social people, but about the poor n rich thing, i disagree, because i’v been to Manila, n i’v seen a big class deference there….

Jonathan Raneses December 24, 2008 at 7:58 pm

PLZ REPLY

Roman December 25, 2008 at 7:16 am

I have never been to the Philippines – but I am willing to take your word on the fact that it is very good to live over there!
I am looking forward to the day that I will eventually visit your country!

When it comes do the list on this page – “Top 10 richest countries in the world” – then Philippines is not one of them because its GDP divided by the number of people in the country is not enough to make it to top 10. In fact Philippines is the 131-st richest country – so in reality its actually quite poor when you compare it to most countries in the world.

On the other hand I am not saying that life in rich countries is always better. As far as I know Philippines might be the best place to live in the world!

chinay May 5, 2009 at 10:49 am

u empress me a lot!

Mel Tiangco December 17, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Very well said.. :) i love it.

vince September 7, 2010 at 6:22 am

yeah were not poor,,and were not that rich aswell,,,but take note philippines are the best english communicator

Tejas December 26, 2008 at 6:58 am

Hello Roman,
I really appreciate you (forget what other say about this list.) Because whatever reports world bank or other organizations publish are just games of figures and numbers and nothing else.
We can say this is a thearotical list and it doesn’t reflect the fact. Some entries may be confusing such as Equatorial Guinea. Be it anything it is not a way to calculate the wealthiness of any country. We should see that country by our own eyes then only we can make some conclusion.
We should also consider the social factors. Such as standerd of living.

Silo December 29, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Mr Tejas, I think i know why u r concerned about Equatorial Guinea, cause its in Africa that’s why u don’t wanna believe that its rich, 4give me if am wrong…by the way am not African, am Norwegian, but i have worked in several African countries the past 2 years for the UNESCO, and some countries r really developed,(not very developed, but in comparison to how they are being portrayed on the TV), if you’ve been to several countries in Africa u would probably agree with me, because all we see on TV is war n aids..I use to think the same about Africa b4, according to what i saw on TV, ..Guinea might not be on # 9 richest..But try to think both ways

Tejas January 3, 2009 at 6:34 am

OK, Mr Silo Guinea may be a rich country. But if you look at the human developement index guinea is nowhere. IF Some people in the country are Rich then it doesn’t mean that overall country is rich.
Some countries in Africa are really rich but there are lot of other factors that should be concerned.
check out this list

jess December 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm

well i have been looking along other sites and the statistics show that actully luxembourg (europe)is the richest country,i cant be sure but is that particuly true?:O
plz reply!
and dosnt the uk come on the list mate?

Tejas January 3, 2009 at 6:41 am

Don’t worry Jess this list is based on Per Capita Income Which doesn’t reflect the real fact. There are lot of other factors that should be considered check out this link
here you will found list of all countries on all economical and social factors.

Roman January 3, 2009 at 8:22 am

Thanks for your input Tejas!

Ekweanua Ugochukwu Felix January 7, 2009 at 7:50 am

IT’S SIMPLY WONDERFUL

kojasuli January 8, 2009 at 5:06 am

HEY HEY HEY HEY MAD WHERE IS INDIA? RICH OR POOR DECIDED YOU ? YOUR GOD? WE ARE NOT LIVING ON EARTH.WHAT IS RICH WHAT IS POOR.YOU ARE LIST TOP RICHEST COUNTRIES OK THAT FINE.IF SAY THAT COUNTRY RICH THAT COUNTRY WILL BE RICH YOUR GREAT GOD.JUST YOU TYPING ON COMPUTER AND SHOWED TOP TEN RICH COUNTRIES. RICH OR POOR NOT IMPORTANT PEACEFUL IS IMPORTANT .

jesus March 16, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Dude, lay off the crack.

hilarious ejiofor January 11, 2009 at 12:03 pm

my country in amoung d richest in word, i mean nigeria , i am from nigeria ok.

Charles January 11, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Nawaaaaaaaa 4 u,U 4 use pigin English instead!!

francis January 14, 2009 at 2:14 am

hi roman!

You’re such a great person! Your simple tips to your readers really make sense to them and have been very informative. This has prompted me to write you hoping to hear a valuable advice from you.

I’m from Asian country, a professional IT as a matter of fact I passed 2 certification exams from Microsoft (MCSE&MCSA) and 1 from Cisco. (CCNA). I’m planning to work hopefully to either of the top 10 riches countries in the world you mentioned above. My only concern is regarding my health, last 2006 I suffered minimal tuberculosis and I had undergone treatment. Everything is fine for me but there’s a scar left in my lungs. I’m wondering if how strict these countries when it comes to physical exam?

I’m looking forward to hear from you soon.

Roman January 14, 2009 at 11:48 am

If you are cured and don’t have tuberculosis anymore – you will be fine! No one will make any restrictions to you working in these countries if you find yourself a job.
However – if you are contagious then it is absolutely sure that you will not get a work permit.
If you are cured – then there are no problems!

Kitaniavallia January 17, 2009 at 9:49 pm

umm,what about Brazil?
Alot of people around the world usees their trees.
so Brazil.
is suppose to be there.
I don’t see why america is in the list,

Tojo January 19, 2009 at 11:35 am

Most countries in this List are Muslim countries..
We Muslims are God Gifted Nation..

Proud to be Muslim

All of u will see in near Future we Muslims will be the Ruler of this World…just few years left 2 get it….

Thanks To Almighty Allah…

cebu January 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm

“I think Christian people are the most gifted people in this planet” as you can see in the top 10 riches in the world! There are 7 Christian countries among the top 10.

Thanks for being a Christian…

jesus March 16, 2009 at 3:22 pm

So how many people does it take to rule the world?
Their just aren’t enough muslims in the world for that.
If you ask me, Christianity is the way to go.

MuNeSh January 24, 2009 at 2:12 pm

hey hello

world’s richest country is Qatar, i have studied in my book!!!

Roman January 24, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Depends on what you want to study – Oxford and Cambridge are the best known schools.
If I’d need choose – I’d go to INSEAD in France

suresh paramasivam January 25, 2009 at 12:22 am

dear sir ,

long after i will visit your website, i am really shake in your wesite. nothing to change in your website. for ex)top 10 richest countries for only data for 2008 but not data for 2009.

this website is not really useful to people..

tejas January 26, 2009 at 7:06 am

Hello Roman,
Thank you for puting this list on your blog. This is a good discussion going on here.
But I think you should publish yet another list of top 10 economies in the world on the basis of GDP.
I hope you will do it.
Thank you.

Mihir January 26, 2009 at 6:51 pm

India is truly richer than most of u in trms of manners, technology and culture! If u go to india, u enjoy the most!! better than luxembourg!

jesus March 16, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Are you kidding me, USA rocks India’s shit any day.
USA! USA! USA!

Deva August 6, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Hey u dumb old fuck American, using that type of language against a country’s culture depicts what type of culture u people r having. May be your country is in the list of rich countries, but if a list is presented on the top 10 or 20 notorious nations, your nation will be the first one.

MuNeSh January 27, 2009 at 7:28 am

hey Roman!!

which is poorest country in world??

Roman January 27, 2009 at 7:48 am

This is actually a difficult question – there are a lot of poor countries that don’t keep any records or statistics so no one really knows.
However I intend to find it out and to make a post about this in my blog!

suresh paramsivam January 28, 2009 at 8:55 am

first answer my question?????????

this website is not really useful to people..

Roman January 28, 2009 at 9:28 am

Hi Suresh!
In addition to this article there are over 100 articles on FinancialJesus.com, so it takes time to update everything!
This list is based on statistics from May 2008 and I am sure that I will get another list up for 2009 as well, but I’m sorry to say that it can take some months!
Before coming up with a new list I’d like to wait a few months and see what happens with the world’s richest countries in the current financial crisis.

I am glad that you keep checking my website Suresh- however if you wish to get the latest information you should probably check out the website of the world bank or IMF! Also if you wish – you can write a post about the richest countries in 2009 yourself and I am more than happy to post it here!

MuNeSh January 28, 2009 at 11:14 am

heelo Roman!!

Where do u live? n which language people speak there?

ivan February 8, 2009 at 12:00 pm

where is japan and england in this list. look at the currency values. japan and england must be there in this list. this list is false……………..

Roman February 8, 2009 at 12:17 pm

The list is correct.
Japan is the 26th richest country in the world and England is 18th

John February 12, 2009 at 11:09 am

Qatar is now number 1 :)

Michael Ricketts June 9, 2010 at 4:43 pm

in your dream :)

suresh February 15, 2009 at 1:20 pm

India is a nation of very old culture and history and it is one nation that was and is rich and had the power to rule the world. the mystic that surrounds india is large and nobody other than india could understand and tell you what it stood for in medicine culture education economy. We had developed the atomic weapons in the time of the sages who called it the bramhaastra the universal weapon. And why our religions and culture still stand while others perished was that indians believed in god. Nobody could understand that even the afghanistan today is also part of old india. A lot of saints stopped the people from being greedy and be self satisfied that too may be the reason why india in old and medieval times did not become mad for money as other

sdnfvjghv February 17, 2009 at 4:53 pm

lol, dorks, USA owns all of you!

jesus March 16, 2009 at 3:14 pm

You tell them my fellow AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

American March 19, 2009 at 3:25 am

USA is the most corrupt nation tn the world everyone knows that no need to further clarify. Recession in economy has happened because of america. No one else to blame. i am an american myself but i know what is the internal politics goin on. America is because of the other nations of the world especially the asians who you are blaming. tHEY ARE INFACT MAKING OUR COUNTRY MORE STRONG ECONOMICALLY. sO DONT BULLSHIT ass—-

Alulaweldu February 17, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Ethiopia is the richest country in the plane.ok ok ok ooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy.

ivan February 19, 2009 at 8:19 am

what is the rank of india in the world…
i think around 70 or 80

Roman February 19, 2009 at 9:34 am

India is 136th :)

champat kumar March 8, 2009 at 2:29 pm

in previous comment you say india is on 126!!now you say 136? what is correct? decide than tell me ..please.

JASVINDER KUMAR February 21, 2009 at 8:01 am

I AM AGREE WHAT EVER RESULTS GIVEN ABOVE BUT WHT ABT THE COUNTRIES WHICH ARE NOT RICH. IS WORLD ECONCMY THINKING ANYTHING ABT THEM?

TRY TO IMPROVE EVERYBODY

THANKS & REGARDS

jASVINDER kUMAR

Brendyn st. Germaine February 23, 2009 at 11:49 am

This is actually very true on my point of view i think that the middle east countries are getting stronger because of their resources, USA is in a recession they are in debt and OBAMA is trying his best to do what he can.

Lance August 25, 2009 at 5:25 am

How is the USA in debt? The size our our national debt compared to our annual GDP is not out of control. Would you be concerned about Bill Gates if he took out a 10 million dollar (USD) loan….probably wouldn’t be too worried…..besides that if anyone has ever taken corporate finance you would realize that it is actually beneficial to carry a certain amount of debt on you balance sheet. It allows you to grow faster than companies that do not leverage up at all. No risks equals no reward.

On another subject, I have traveled the world and been to about 40 coutries (Asia, Africa, and Europe) on both business and pleasure and I like to go to other countries to experience other cultures but at the end of the day going to these countries makes me realize how good I have it in the USA. Being born and raised here I have been given every oppotunity ( and I ‘ve blown a few) to do anything I put my mind to. That’s America. We’re far from perfect but we’re still awesome especially if you’re willing to get an education and work hard. By the way, I’m Shanghai right now and it’s a little too polluted and there are too many prostitutes but other that that it’s pretty nice and the food is great.

And to the people on here ranting about India being so great….the culture may have a lot of history and depth but when you’re there walking down the street and you step in human crap…..you tend to forget about the richness of the culture. On top of that, all my Indian friends that have immigrated to the USA and have good professional jobs here agree that it’s nice in some places and if you have money, but other than that it’s a dump.

And one more note: It’s because of the influence wielded economically, culturally and politically by Britain and the US that we’re all having this conversation in English right now.

snow August 27, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Yes, well done!!!!!!

Mike February 24, 2009 at 6:58 pm

I am actually from Luxembourg, one of those 480 000 lucky bastards! ;-)

I just wanted to say that the fact that makes me the most proud of my country is not at all that it is number 1 on this list. It is the fact that it has the lowest poverty rate of all European counties. That, in addition to the fact that we have almost 40% foreigners living here, but no nationalist party or racist violence, shows that we have managed to build a healthy society.

The weather’s really crappy though…

And, by the way: The picture on top of the list shows the “Palais du Luxembourg” (Palace of Luxembourg), which is located in … Paris! Maybe you could put in a picture of Luxembourg-City, it’s a beautiful 1000 year old Unesco world heritage fortress.

Cheers!

Simple March 5, 2009 at 4:16 am

wow, i didn’t know Singpaore lies in 5th richest country. Good to know. Thanks for the info

Roman March 5, 2009 at 9:48 am

You are welcome! Singapore is the 6th richest country in the world

mike david August 22, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Hi,
I like your contributions so much,you make sense and rationality….what do you think about living and working in Ireland…what do you think about their current state of economy…want to relocate their but need more info

Niragire Eric March 6, 2009 at 1:18 pm

How are u !
I’m coming in Rwanda – Africa my adresse is:
cornerick in yahoo fr.
Now richest country like mine because we have potatoes, bananas, water and God yes !!!
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Niragire Eric March 6, 2009 at 1:32 pm

My adress is cornerick in yahoo fr
Please chut with me I wanna be ur friend.
Good day

Françoise March 7, 2009 at 10:02 am

Hi, I am actually from Luxembourg too. And I have travelled a lot. And I may confirm you that an average Busdriver earns 50.000 Euros a year without problems. Salaries are really very very high. And to live in Luxembourg city, which has only 80.000 Inhabitants is extremely expensive, even more expensive than to live in Paris and london-city.
So I am not really proud of my country to be at the head of the list, because I am convinced that most of the banks here in Luxembourg, which haven’t suffered a lot about the Financial crisis, do not hesitate to deal with criminals, money laundring. But one thing is sure, Luxembourgers are reach because they are smart and forget their conscience.

IVAN March 7, 2009 at 4:22 pm

AMERICA IS NOT IN 1ST PLACE BUT THE NUMBER OF BILLIONARIES IN AMERICA IS MORE THAN ANY OF THE OTHER COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD. IS IT CORRECT ROMAN.

Françoise March 8, 2009 at 5:26 am

What a nonsense. America has surely more billionairs than Luxembourg but only because it has 200 millions an more inhabitants. Luxembourg has only 480.00O and already some billionairs like Mittal living there. Compared to the size of the population we have surely more than you do.
There is no place in the world where so many ferraris, lamborghinis are seen on supermarket lots than here. ;-)

alzeer March 11, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I think the UAE is the rishest country in the world, and the people (citizens) who live there are the rishest, for example, abu dhabi itself has more than 800 billion dollars in its account, waiting for someone to invest it somewhere, so what about the other cities like dubai and rak and sharjah and so on, and i can understand why they are showing it as number 5 since they have so many labours who came from different countries and who are building the country in these days. what impostant is that these workers are not gitting as much as the professional workers. UAE has 3 millions temporary unprofessional labours and 800000 citizens, so when these temporary workers finish building and comeback to their countries, i think uae is gonna be the rishest country on all sites lol.

IVAN March 13, 2009 at 2:22 pm

i agree with him…………

Terrotist Mohomed October 6, 2009 at 11:33 am

Anyway All Arab countries SUCK

Miami Heat Wave August 16, 2010 at 4:20 pm

UAE is where the terrorist lived! hahaha! go to hell!

jesus March 15, 2009 at 6:14 pm

This list is stupid considering that the US has 300 million people and Luxembourg has 500 thousand people. Also in overall wealth the US is 1st with over 14 trillion dollars and Luembourg is 97th with just over 38 billion dollars, I believe the US’s Warren Buffet and Bill Gates both have a larger fortune then that, upwards of 60 billion dollars. By the way what the hell is Qatar. Oh yah, most of these countries that are rich because of oil can thank the great country of the United States of America for that.
Here are some stats for ya:

10. Switzerland 7.7mil people(94th) 313bil(38th)
9. Equatorial Guinea 505thou people(166th) 19.6bil
8. Ireland 6mil
7. USA 300mil(3rd) 14tril(1st)
6. Singapore 4.8mil(114th) 241bil(44th)
5. UAE 4.6mil 200bil
4. Kuwait 4mil 130.2bil(56th)
3. Normay 4.8mil(115th) 260bil(43rd)
2. Qatar 1.5mil 116.8bil
1. Luxembourg .5mil 38.3mil(97th)

By the way I’m only 14 and my opinion means more than any of yours.

Roman March 15, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Overall your list would be correct but as you point out in your article – the US has more than 300 million people while Luxembourg only has 0.5 million.
In order to get how many money each country has per person you would need to divide the amounts you have with the number of people living in these countries.
The way you represent stats is nice but it really doesn’t say anything.

jesus March 16, 2009 at 3:01 pm

You just don’t get it. It’s easier for a country with a smaller amount of people to have a larger GDP per capita than a larger country. It would be like if i started my own country and had $100,000, then would my country would be the richest country. But I do see where you are coming from in your reply. Oh yah, read back the second sentence of your reply and see if it makes sense to you.

Roman March 16, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Makes perfect sense!

Miami Heat Wave August 16, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Makes future perfect sense!

teresa March 18, 2009 at 9:23 am

my name is teresa,i will really love you to contact me on teresamary2008@yahoo.com

tejaS March 25, 2009 at 11:42 am

Hello friends,
I can’t understand why a lot of comments are so serious about any country. I find it very silly when someone hail his own country and say that “my country is richest”.
This published list is just a game of numbers. If you really want to find out richest country. The only solution is go there on your own, live there at least for 1 year and travel all over the possible places. And then come and make any comment. Every country has it’s own good and bad things. We can’t compare each and every factor. There are lot of limitations.
And we can’t compare all countries in same point of view.
And for me. I am from India. and i am not going to say that “India is richest country in the world”.
It would be ridiculas.
And please don’t make comments imotionaly. Control your love for your country.

tejas_sarade@hotmail.com

Kartik August 28, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Hi people, Lots of information on this page thanks to all of you. It is not the fight between nationalities as respected Jesus says that US is richest because of the money it generates, may be what u say is the way you see the picture but in reality its all about how much bread and butter u can get with your money…
Let me explain with an example of 2 families; A and B. Family A who has 4 member earns $100 a month on the other side family B who has 2 member earns $80 now the if we divide 100/4 which means members of family A will get only $25 each and the member of family B will get $40 to spend, I guess its clear who has more money.
Its not about the total money earned by the country but its about the per capita income…..

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: